Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Brace Yourself


The Bonnarro lineup is officially out today, and it's a good year for rap fans. It's funny, because for years I avoided this festival specifically for the amount of jam bands, but surprisingly few found their way to the list this year. With my wife currently pregnant, I assumed this was a non-starter, but this falls at a perfect time for one of these "baby-moons" that have suddenly become socially acceptable, so I'm thinking I might do it. 

If nothing else, I'll finally get to see Wu Tang in concert. I'm not sure if I've told the story before, but I had tickets to see them in 1997, with Rage Against the Machine, in St. Louis. The night before, they performed in Chicago, and basically self-destructed as a group. The group was at their peak, and you know what happens once you peak: you go downhill. They dropped off the tour entirely, and although I did get to see Rage, I still haven't seen the Wu in concert, and unfortunately never will see them with ODB, barring his resurrection in hologram form. (Coincidentally, I had tickets to see Smashing Pumpkins when their tour was rescheduled due to the death of their keyboardist, and subsequent arrest of their drummer on heroin charges. The next year, I missed Korn at Lollapalooza when their bassist came down with spinal meningitis.) I can't complain though, because I did get to see all three years of the Smokin' Grooves tour. Even though the first was better than the second, which was better than the third, every one was great. I'll leave you with an example of what the Fugees were like before they all lost their fucking minds:



No comments:

Post a Comment